Monday, June 22, 2009

Garden Talks June 22--Weeds! (and rain)

Hello again,

I will be back in another day or so (and KCB has a piece that will be posting!) so check back with us soon!

Actually got a little time away from work today and man are my gardens infested with weeds. I am paying for "slacking" on my weed pulling from last year and many weeds have re seeded and come back in heavier than I have seen in my 21 years of gardening on my property.

It is time to go to war...I have filled the equivalent of 2 barrels with tall, short and medium sized weeds. My soon to bloom daylillies, perennial geraniums and other plants appreciate it. There is more weeding left to do.

I will say one advantage to these large volumes of rain is that even tall well rooted weeds are easy to pull completely out now. So this is today's garden lesson: take advantage of the moist, moist earth for relatively deft pulling of weeds. Ground too muddy? Maybe like you me you are blessed with plenty of ledge or other stones. Lay the stones out in open spaces and step on the stones! That way you won't sink into the garden too much!

More tomorrow and look for KCB as well!

Mike Skillin
Skillin's Greenhouses
June 22, 2009

No comments: