Friday, July 3, 2009

Garden Talks July 3--Time to Plant Peas, Lettuces, Cole Crops; Prune Roses

Hello again,

Just a quick note to remind you if you have some garden space it is time to plant the 2nd crop of peas, lettuces and cole crops.

Here at Skillin's we have a fresh and new supply of several types of lettuce, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages, cauliflower, bok choi...yum yum!

I have a second planting of green leaf lettuce already started in some containers. I had to pick some slugs off of them this AM but hopefully a sprinkling of Slug Magic around the pots will attract the slugs to the Slug Magic and away from my lettuce. (It should; Slug Magic works great!)

I want to plant a third planting of lettuce seedlings. This I will do tomorrow AM. With (hopefully) hot summer sun coming over the next few weeks I am going to try the lettuce (in this case Red Sails leaf lettuce sold right here at Skillin's!) in a partial sun spot. I think the location will work but I will let you know!

Not that you ask BUT I am a leaf lettuce fan as opposed to growing the head lettuce. I am not that good a farmer to grow a good head lettuce and I appreciate the fact that the leaf lettuce can be cut and used often and as such seems to have less desire to bolt. My favorite leaf lettuce is Red Sails. It looks good in the garden and tastes great!

I just planted a second crop of broccoli--again in containers (I don't have much space and I want to try the container route). After I have pulled my first crop of broccoli (they are still producing but are on the wane) I will then put a third planting in that spot. Each time I plant a new crop of vegetables I put a healthy dose of Plant Booster Plus by Organica (Garden Tone by Espoma is also a great choice) into the hole just before I plant. These fertilizers are all natural and contain loads of healthy microbes and good dosages of calcium. Calcium is essential for good fruit and vegetable development.

We have brand new crops of lettuces and cole crops such as broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages, etc. with more on the way all through the summer!

With my lack of space I need to find a good spot to plant some peas BUT I WILL!

Yesterday's torrential rains "beat the stuffing" out of many flowers--especially rose bushes. As soon as you can get out there with your pruners and snip those rose flowers off that are beaten up. Prune a good couple of inches back from the flower bud. This pruning will encourage more new growth on your rose and the sooner you get new growth, the sooner you will get flowers! For more detail about good pruning techniques for roses and other flowering plants click Garden Talks Week of March 30 for some nice illustrations!

Skillin's is open all day today until 6 PM (7 PM at the Falmouth greenhouse); we are all closed on Saturday to observe Independence Day and then we are all open on Sunday from 9 AM to 5 PM.

Mike Skillin
Skillin's Greenhouses
July 3, 2009

No comments: