Saturday, August 9, 2008

Plenty of Time; But Let's Get Started!

Hello again,

I have been fortunate enough to be able to get out and walk the yard early this AM and to survey my soggy gardens and lawn.

What a week and more of rain! Water rains and mildew reigns!

But DO NOT give up on this gardening season.

Today besides needing to scrape a healthy amount of peeling paint on the house I do intend (and have already started) to whip some of my plantings in shape. Here are a few pointers:

1. The ground is SO moist that all weeds--including normally hard to pull weeds like crabgrass--are EASY to pull out of the ground right now. So get out there and do it!

2. My flowering plants need much dead heading and some mildewy leaves need to be trimmed. BUT down a little further on my plants are plenty of flower buds JUST WAITING to pop with some upcoming sunshine. So get out there and do some dead heading!

3. I have much creeping grass around my rose bushes. With just a little effort, I should be able to easily scrape that creeping grass away before I get some healthy compost around the rose bushes. Tomorrow AM if the rose bush leaves are more dry than this AM I am going to get spray some Messenger on my roses and garden phlox as well as some other plants. "Google" "Messenger Skillin's Garden Log" to find some great discussion by Terry Skillin and others about the benefits of Messenger--especially in wet summers like this.

Let us know at info@skillins.com or leave a comment at the end of this post about what you are doing in the garden and we will pass your info on! As always you may leave us any questions and we will answer them.

Thanks,

Mike Skillin

No comments: