Thursday, December 31, 2009

Playing with Blocks

Hello again,

KCB returns! KCB is a professional gardener and friend who does wonderful work in the Greater Portland area. KCB is also an accredited Master Gardener by the Cooperative Extension Service and we are honored to have KCB as part of our Skillin's Garden Log family.

What is this? My fingers are tapping which is resulting in my thoughts appearing before me. Wow! It feels, oh, so foreign; uncomfortably exciting. I have thoughts and I am expressing them. Well, not exactly. This machine is expressing them. I’ve missed this. Writing for you. Will you still welcome me? Writing for me. Will I be able to produce?

So exactly where did I go? Why didn’t I write?

Initially I was too busy with my gardening business, then I began experiencing pain of wrist, shoulder then whole arm. Turns out it was my elbow, minor surgery and wha la! Arm better. Still no writing. Nothing.

This forever thinking, imagining, dreaming and creating stories in my head person was totally blocked. No blockage of thoughts, imagination, dreams and creation they just wouldn’t pass from head to fingers to page. Writer’s Block? More like motivation block. Expression block. Blocks of blocks.

Some of you may relate to this phenomenon. Perhaps you’re hungry, ravenous, actually. Nevertheless, you do not want to prepare a meal, order take out or even leave the task at hand to forage the fridge or comb your cupboards. Alternatively, what about the time you were bored, wanted to go for a walk, check e-mail, play solitaire. Something, anything yet the most challenging event is surfing the hundreds of TV channels and realizing there is nothing on. Or horrors upon horrors, your garden needs serious tending and you just can’t get out of your own way to dead one head, weed a blade of grass. Now can you relate?

Let’s see if I am able to unlock the block. What to talk about? First, I want to relay a belated Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas Season. If this makes it to print, I hope that I will not be too late to wish all a happy, healthy, loving year to come. I often include ‘successful’ in my good year wishes, which I equate to the financial kind. Yet, in an effort not to sound too syrupy, the gifts of good health, happiness, being loved and offering love can be more rewarding than a bountiful bank account. Another ‘WOW!’. Did I just say that? Guess my heart willed my fingers to say what I rarely ever voice. This material girl is feeling a little less so. Perhaps there is a story in this.

I’ll go for it…

Many of us had to be a little less materialistic this year. Some received the financial blow personally, others prepared based on media meanderings. I wish I could say it felt good, that it was easy. What does feel good is the rising to the challenge. Clipping coupons, comparative shopping, off-price, bargain, surplus, salvage stores abound! Recently I was asked my favorite clothing store(s) without even a hint of hesitation I exclaimed, ‘Goodwill & Salvation Army’. Try it. A true win win situation. Purchasing at these ‘chains’ indeed does feel good.

Still, my favorite shopping of all is just around the corner; yesterday 4 seed catalogs found their way through my mail slot. I’m feeling inspired already.

Always leave them wanting more, some do say…

So long for now, to return soon. I feel the blocks have tumbled…

KCB for Skillin's Greenhouses
December 31, 2009

No comments: