Friday, April 11, 2008

Strangers in the Night by KCB

KCB is a professional gardener and friend who does wonderful work in the Greater Portland area. KCB is also an accredited Master Gardener by the Cooperative Extension Service and we are honored to have KCB as part of our Skillin's Garden Log family.

It’s 2 AM…..do you know where your favorite gardener is? Any reasonable person would be sleeping, unless you work 3rd shift. I have been known to pick-up such a schedule at the catalog phone center that I call my ‘other’ job, but not this night.

Outside my window Mr. Mockingbird (Mr., M) is chirping away. Last spring when I began hearing him ‘in the middle of the night’ I thought I was crazy. At that time, I had not heard a mockingbird since moving from the other side of Munjoy Hill. Was I longing so for the melodic warbling of the Mockingbird that I was delusional? Even after my first daytime sighting of Mr. M I could not believe he would put forth a merrily mocking medley at such a morose hour. Not to mention the thermometer barely pushing 30 degrees. Research later enlightened me to the mating habits of Mr. M and his brethren. The wee hours of the barely spring are the time to serenade a mate. A true troubadour!

While Mr. M and his ilk may be exciting, I have other cause for not sleeping. Tonight I am just too energized to sleep—the weather report is hinting at temps in the 50s. Yes! I might as well make good use of my time. Since I live in an apartment, vacuuming or any heavy cleaning would not win favor with the apartment dwellers above or below me. Darn! I so wanted to start my ‘Spring Cleaning’. Not!

Next best thing….to share some of the garden notes cascading through my head as I prepare for my elusive opening day of gardening season.

In my life, there aren’t many rules I tend to live by, when it comes to gardening I do follow certain self-imposed and proven guidelines. Why, yes, I would be ever so honored to share these with you.

Think of these as ‘Gardening 101’. We may not be freshman gardeners but this is a new season. Moreover, Gardeners being who we are, always look for ways to add, change, and revise. It may be why we do not get board, what other passion offers so many beginnings?

Volumes have been written on how to begin a garden or the gardening season. Sometimes less is more, sometimes less is just, well basic. Here are some basic tips and tools that I (try to) live by. Feel free to make them your own!

1.Plan before you plant
2.Prepare before you plant
3.Know your property/know yourself
4.Right Plant, Right Place


Planning before planting is much more than leafing through magazines and ‘just imagining’. Not only will planning save you money and time, in some cases, relationships.

Before you dash to your local family owned and operated nursery consider the following:

* How do you use your out door space?

* What is your vision for color, texture, form?

* How much do you, or more realistically, can you spend? There is more than just purchasing plants and shrubs. Soil amendments, plant food, tools, gloves even sunscreen and proper clothing add up quickly. Not to mention all those decorative items you must add to make the space so you.

* Think about—Maintenance; cost and time. You may have the vision but do you have the time and stamina to keep it that way. If not, will you/can you spend the money to keep it so. Low maintenance does not mean no maintenance.

* Window shop. Some of the best things in life are free. It doesn’t cost a dime to dream or look. I spend so much time at my favorite nurseries that customers often mistake me as an employee.

* Visit your favorite gardening center/nursery. The staff is as eager as you to get the season in full gear. There is a lilt in their step, broad smiles on their faces and even some are whistling while they work. I’m not saying it is not always so, the big difference between now and then is time. They have more time to dedicate themselves to answering your questions. Often they will dream along with you.

* Shop by catalog. I adore Nursery Catalogs. Not only do they offer a description of what will be available, they are a wonderful resource regarding care, maintenance and growing habits.

* As bare shelves break forth into a kaleidoscope of color, take the time to see what is available. ‘Just looking’ is much easier said than done as plants move quickly. That perfect Amethyst Astilbe may not be available tomorrow.

* Read the plant tags. More on this almost obsession of mine as the season progresses.

So, make a list, check it twice.

The seductive song of Mr. M has faded into the rising sun. Perhaps I should return to bed before Kayla, the slightly snoring Golden, gets the idea that now is a good time to go out.

Next writing we will tackle Prepare Before You Plant.

See you then!

KCB for Skilllin's Greenhouses
April 11, 2008

No comments: