Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The Monge Lilac

Sheliah of Skillin's checks in:

"Christmas is over so it's time to start thinking about spring! Nothing says spring like Lilacs! If you want a beautiful dark purple lilac in your garden I would recommend Monge. I got this beautiful variety at Skillin's a few years ago. It has grown fast and has been problem free. The secret to beautiful lilacs is full sun, a little lime, and a bag of manure every year."
I agree Sheliah. I will say that I sprayed my lilacs monthly this year with Messenger and was very pleased at the LACK of powdery mildew in what was a very wet and humid year. That being said full sun and a yearly liming is a must. I like the manure idea; I end up using Plant Tone by Espoma or Plant Booster Plus by Organica because of the organic matter in the fertilizers (but manure gets you there as well!)
Thanks Sheliah for the great thoughts and terrific Lilac photo!
Mike Skillin
Skillin's Greenhouses
December 31, 2008

No comments: