Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Award Shows Part 1 by KCB

KCB is a professional gardener and friend who does wonderful work in the Greater Portland area. KCB is also an accredited Master Gardener by the Cooperative Extension Service and we are proud to tell you that KCB rules as the 2008 Maine Master Gardener of the Year. And we are honored to have KCB as part of our Skillin's Garden Log family.

There was a time in my life that I never missed a televised award show. The Grammy’s®, The Golden Globes®, MTV® Music awards even The Emmy’s® but my favorite of them all was the Oscars ®.

From an early age I was drawn to the Academy Awards and felt very ‘in’ when I had not only seen the Movie of the Year but guessed the outcome before the envelope was open.

Years later I enlisted my husband to participate in the quest to see all the movies nominated in the major categories. One year we were behind in our viewing which resulted in a mini movie marathon. Less than 48 hours to the Sunday night Red Carpet extravaganza we had four movies yet to view. The day of the event found us jumping from one theater in the multi-plex to another. Popcorn overload, butt numbing; those were the days. Or were they?

I am somewhat saddened yet gladdened that I did not see any of this years highly proclaimed and oft nominated movies. Nevertheless, I was prepared to spend the past Sunday night glued to the television to see people get dressed up and excited about a bunch of stuff I knew nothing about. Some how I could not stay focused. Something called to me. Ah, yes, the great outdoors.

Perhaps I was experiencing cabin fever. Maybe it had to do with the time of the storm as well as the day. When most people were tucked in the warmth of their homes quietly ending the weekend that was, I donned my flannel lined jeans, water proof parker and ‘Bean Boots’ to head for the streets. It was as if I was alone in the world.

The side streets of my neighborhood were barely plowed and the sidewalks were non-existent. The lack of motorized vehicles allowed for me to utilize the roads as my path. Soon I found my way to the area of Portland known as Back Cove.

The sky still heavy with precipitation glowed silver. My exposed nose and eyes tingled and through my minimalist view I did detect huddled mounds of coal gray along the frozen water surface. Tiptoeing to get a closer look I discovered a gaggle (or 2) of Canada Geese bunkered down for the duration. My muffled footsteps were more about the atmosphere than the covering on my ears.
A kind of a hush enveloped. Not a sound could be heard.

Alone, but not lonely. Windows of nearby houses put forth a gold haziness. Perhaps within their walls the occupants cursed the weather. I embraced it.

Alternatively, they may be glued to the television cheering for their favorite actor while I turned my back on the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences. The out-of-doors is my science. Gardening is my art.

For years I fantasized that someday I will be among the beautiful people in attendance at the various world renowned award shows. An A-List attendee, a nominee, a winner. No matter, I would dress for the part. Somewhat a realist this aspiration as changed.

Nevertheless, there is one award show I will not miss. Preview Night at the Portland Flower Show is where you will find me this March 11th. Visions of a nomination, a win, a following, often occupy my thoughts. Will someone put a microphone in my face and ask ‘Who are you wearing?’ LL Bean, with a touch of vintage supplied by Goodwill. For now I will satisfy my soul mingling among the nominated and ultimate winners. Some I know very well. We have a common bond. The love of our art and science.

It is not often we have the opportunity to attend an event such as is the Portland Flower Show. With the canceling of the Bangor and Boston Shows, The Portland Company Complex will be as hot a destination as the Kodak Theater in LA. Don’t miss this opportunity to walk among the stars of the horticultural winners. See you there…

KCB for Skillin's Greenhouses
February 24, 2009

No comments: