Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lesson Unforgettable by Dale Lincoln

Kind friend Dale Lincoln returns with another great tale and lesson about life...

Less than two weeks after being graduated from Shead Memorial High School at Eastport, Maine in 1954, a neighbor lady invited me to a social event at the Perry Grange. It sounded like fun so I accepted her invitation. I must mention that I prepared for that event the same way I had prepared each day while attending high school: Doing only the essential homework, but ready to listen when the teachers covered important, or interesting items. The rest of the time I daydreamed about playing baseball, hunting, fishing, and other usual things teenagers daydream about. The teachers seldom asked me questions.

A few people younger than myself also waited in the “ Grange party room” as the Grangers met in a room on the second floor. With the meeting over, they came downstairs. Soon food was being readied to be served.

The place started to be quiet when an adult said; “Dale.”

I stood up.

The adult continued: “You have just graduated from High School. Please tell us what you liked the most about High School.”

In a state of shock I didn't say: “Teacher's stories; 3:30 pm; weekends; and vacations!

My ears started warming! Unlike high school students today, being interviewed after winning the basketball game, I hadn't trained to roll my eyes and make the first statement: “It was awesome !”

I was speechless. Perspiration ran like a river down my back!.

Adults tried to help by asking questions that required “Yes” and “No” answers, but nobody asked;

“Wanna Get away?”

Soon the questioning stopped, but the embarrassment of those moments have never completely left me.

In retrospect, the incident at the Grange social was a wonderful lesson. Learning to “Be Prepared” can help us all along the path of life. Here in Florida, during my morning walk near sunrise, when someone says: “Good Morning,” I'm never stuck for an answer!

Dale C. Lincoln
Perry, Maine
In Zephyrhills FL
February 1, 2009

No comments: